Wednesday, November 14, 2018

From cartoons, animes to TV series

Since I have memory, I spend the weekends in my grandfather's house. He let me do whatever I wanted during those two days, and I mostly spent them with my eyes stuck in the tv. I didn't have cable on  my house, so I took advantage from those hours as much as I could. I didn't know How I did it, but I think I managed to follow every show of that time.
Thanks to this, I grew up with a big love for fantasy and story telling. Later in life I moved my attention to books more than shows, but I still keep an eye everything that goes to air. 
I must say that we live in a great era for animated shows. There are great artist out there, creating original and entertaining shows full of contents as well, enjoyable for kids and adults. 
The only difference is that, today, I watch the episodes online, as soon as they come out, and after I watch it, I  go straight to the online fanbases to enjoy the discussions, analysis, memes, fanarts and theories. 
I love my generation. 

There are two shows that really mean a lot to me, one from my childhood and another from nowadays. 

The first one is Avatar: The Last Airbender, or The Legend of Aang. I have no words to explain how much this means to me. This show literally grew up with me. It started as a simple show I watched sporadically, but I became so obsessed with the story and specially, the characters that the first thing I did when we hired internet so long ago, was to watch it from the beginning. Only there I realized how much I had missed! a lot made sense then... I still watch it, now and then.

"Water. Earth. Fire. Air. Long ago, the four nations lived together in harmony. Then, everything changed when the Fire Nation attacked"

The other one is Steven Universe. I can't believe how actual this show is.  It has hit me hard and low sometimes, sometimes nearly makes me cry, which is kind of the purpose of the show. It talks about very modern themes in a very creative, respectful, sensitive and powerful way. Anyone could believe it is not a children show, but it is. It is for XXI  century children. Besides, the artwork is amazing.

When it comes to oriental animation, I'm not a big fan precisely, but I deeply respect it. If I watch an anime, it is mostly because someone else recommended it to me. I have liked most of them, but I was raised by Uncle Sam, and I can't change that, which is hard because almost all my friends are low key otakus (don't deny it), and sometimes I feel a little left out. 
 About mangas and comic books, I'm a total ignorant. Although I enjoy listening to other people about them, when I try them myself I never finish one.

Cartoons mean an escape from life, but also a space where I can reflect on life. They give me something to think about when I don't really want to think. They have given me a community to participate on, when outside life fail me. Talking about our favorite cartoons is a really good way to start conversations with new people, and even my friends when they get bored of me... 






"One of my favorite scenes in Steven Universe"






1 comment: